Manchester is the first region in the UK to have adopted central government plans to devolve funding and decision-making powers.
Ten local authorities are now collaborating as the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership (GMHSC), to have autonomy over housing, skills and transport, and also control of £6 billion for health and social care services. A mayor will be elected on the 4th of May to preside over this.
Whilst the success of ‘Devo Manc’ remains to be seen, in the last few months there has been significant activity.
Since October, there have been outlined plans to…
- Provide a more holistic approach to healthcare, incorporating transport, housing, education, crime, and pollution
- Improve access to GPs by making more appointments available
- Tackle cancer in Greater Manchester by looking at new ways to diagnose, and forming tumour-specific cancer centres
- Address public health with a publication of a population health plan in January 2017 which in January 2017 which outlines plans to tackle causes of poor health in a consistent manner across the region
There is split opinion and much debate around the risks and benefits of ‘Devo Manc’ and the broader impact if other regions follow suit.
- Will social policy have greater influence over pathway design?
- Might this have an impact on the definition and evaluation of cost effectiveness?
- Could this lead to inequitable prescribing between Manchester and the rest of the UK?
- Will there be more political involvement in decisions relating to the NHS?
Ultimately, what impact might this have on the access and uptake of new and existing medicines?
Adelphi has a dedicated NHS consultancy to help you establish what this might mean for your brands
- Spectrum™ payer database with extensive access to payers at all levels
- Spectrum™ payer profiler to tease out nuances by role, ensuring intelligent and targeted recruitment
- A team of expert payer moderators who understand payer phraseology and terminology and the complexities of NHS decision-making to deliver richer insights
To find out more about how this might affect your brand, contact Adelphi’s Market Access Experts: